Sunday, December 24, 2006

a New Year's party before Christmas day


it was on a Thursday night. i attended the new year’s party (and this was even before Christmas) of most of the auditing companies in UB. It was held in a government hall for social functions. Maybe there were around 200 guests present. It was a formal affair – the women in long gowns and glitters, and the men in suits (some even wore tux). It seemed that every social gathering for most if not all Mongolians (particularly the women), was an opportunity to transform one’s self and put on his best in terms of physical aesthetics.

i was asked to sit with the organizers, including some of my colleagues. Our table faced the improvised stage, and was in the middle of the hall. There were the usual drinks – vodka, whisky, beer, juice, water and this time red martini. What do you expect from a $40 ticket invitation? The appetizer was potato salad (adapted from the Russians as I was told) – now becoming a favorite teaser for my palate. Served next was chicken roll with egg slice filling and gravy. The main course was roast beef served with rice and bread. I was not able to have dessert because we started dancing.

it was another awards night. the companies had a sports competition and they gave out the medals and trophies to the winners. Some of them even had them on while they were on the dance floor later. Also, there was a tango dance competition where I tried to take part but the music finished shortly after I and my partner just started doing our moves.

there was a raffle draw. We were asked at the entrance to pick one bill of 10Tg. Prizes given were food steamers, irons, rice cookers, vacuum cleaners and scarves. My number almost got lucky (if you believe in luck, and I do not) to be drawn. An auction for a roasted suckling pig was also held. It got sold for more than $2,000 and was discounted later by $500.

there was a short musical comedy show with local actors and a member of the audience. It was about flowers and butterflies. Everyone had a good laugh and though I did not understand what the actors were saying, I had my share as well. Comedy does not need language in order to be funny.

the dancing got wilder as the night moved on. I just found it strange to see people disco dancing in gowns and suits. I got to go around the dance floor and met a lot of interesting people. At one time, I got lost in the gyrating moves and sounds, not thinking that I was a foreign volunteer in the land of nomads and chinggis khan. I was just an ordinary person enjoying the times of his life…

No comments: